ISAP Researchers' Profiles
Richard A. Rawson, Ph.D.
Richard A. Rawson, Ph.D., is Co-Director of UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs and Professor-in-Residence at the UCLA Department of Psychiatry, in which he has been a member for more than 20 years. He received a Ph.D. in experimental psychology from the University of Vermont in 1974. Dr. Rawson oversees clinical trials on pharmacological and psychosocial addiction treatments. He is principal investigator of the NIDA grants on aerobic exercise, screening and brief intervention in a mental health setting, and a Fogarty training grant between UCLA and Cairo University. He also is principal investigator of the SAMHSA/PEPFAR: Cooperative Agreement for Workforce Development in Vietnam: HIV-Addiction Technology Transfer Center and recently completed the SAMHSA/Department of State: Iraq Drug Demand Reduction Initiative. He has led addiction research and training projects for the United Nations, the World Health Organization, the Drosos Foundation and the U.S. State Department, exporting science-based knowledge to many parts of the world. Dr. Rawson has published 3 books, 35 book chapters, and over 200 peer-reviewed articles and has conducted over 1,000 workshops, paper presentations, and training sessions.
Education and Training
- University of Vermont, Burlington, VT, B.A., Psychology, 1970
- University of Vermont, Burlington, VT, Ph.D., Psychology, 1974
- Behavioral Treatment Research
- Medication Research
- Treatment System Evaluation
- International Addiction Research
- Addiction Training
UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs
11075 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 100
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Recent Peer-reviewed Publications (From a List of 200+)
- Dolezal, B.A., Chudzynski, J., Dickerson, D., Mooney, L., Rawson, R.A., Garfinkel, A., Cooper, C.B. (2014). Exercise training improves heart rate variability after methamphetamine dependency. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 46(6), 1057-1066. PMCID: PMC3999306
- Urada, D., Teruya, C., Gelberg, L., & Rawson, R. (2014). Integration of substance use disorder services with primary care: Health center surveys and qualitative interviews. Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy, 9(1), 15. doi:10.1186/1747-597X-9-15
- Rawson, R.A., Rieckmann, T., & Gust, S.W. (2014). Addiction science: A rationale and tools for a public health response to drug abuse. Public Health Reviews, 35. Epub ahead of print. NIHMSID 644383
- Al-Hemiary, N.J., Al-Diwan, J.K., Hasson, A., & Rawson, R.A. (2014). Drug and alcohol use in Iraq: Findings of the inaugural Iraqi Community Epidemiological Workgroup. Substance Use & Misuse, Early Online, 1-5. May 14 DOI: 10.3109/10826084.2014.913633
- Urada, D., Rawson, R.A., & Onuki, M. (2014). Peace building through a substance use conference structured on peace psychology principles. Peace and Conflict: Journal of Peace Psychology, 20(1), 84-94. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0035579
- Sedaghat, A., Banihashemi, A.T., Gouya, M., & Rawson, R.A. (2014). Behaviors influencing Human immunodeficiency virus transmission in the context of positive prevention among people living with HIV/acquired immunodeficiency syndrome in Iran: A qualitative study. International Journal of Preventive Medicine, 5(8), 976-983.
- Radfar, S.R., & Rawson, R.A. (2014). Current research on methamphetamine: Epidemiology, medical and psychiatric effects, treatment, and harm reduction efforts. Addiction & Health, 6(3).
- Nosyk, B., Li, L., Evans, E., Urada, D., Huang, D., Wood, E., Rawson, R., & Hser, Y.-I. (2014). Utilization and outcomes of detoxification and maintenance treatment for opioid dependence in publicly-funded facilities in California, US: 1991-2012. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 143, 149-157. doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2014.07.020
- Farabee, D., McCann, M., Brecht, M.-L, Cousins, S.J., Antonini, V.P., Lee, A.B., Hemberg, J., Karno, M., & Rawson, R.A. (2013). An analysis of relapse prevention factors and their ability to predict sustained abstinence following treatment completion. American Journal on Addictions, 22(3), 206-211. PMID: 23617860 doi: 10.1111/j.1521-0391.2012.00328.x.
- Ma, J.Z., Johnson, B.A., Yu, E., Weiss, D., McSherry, F., Saadvandi, J., Iturriaga, E., Ait-Daoud, N., Rawson, R.A., Hrymoc, M., Campbell, J., Gorodetzky, C., Haning, W., Carlton, B., Mawhinney, J., Weis, D., McCann, M., Pham, T., Stock, C., Dickinson, R., Elkashef, A., & Li, M.D. (2013). Fine-grain analysis of the treatment effect of topiramate on methamphetamine addiction with latent variable analysis. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 130(1-3), 45-51. PMID: 23142494
- Glasner-Edwards, S., Mooney, L., Ang, A., Hillhouse, M., & Rawson, R. (2013). Does posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) affect post-treatment methamphetamine use? Journal of Dual Diagnosis, 9(2), 123-128. doi:10.1080/15504263.2013.779157 PMCID: PMC3779468
- Rawson, R.A. (2013). Current research on the epidemiology, medical and psychiatric effects, and treatment of methamphetamine use. Journal of Food and Drug Analysis, 21(4), S77-S81.doi: 10.1016/j.jfda.2013.09.039
- Hser, Y.-I., Chang, L., Wang, G.-J., Li, M.D., Rawson, R., Shoptaw, S., Normand, J., & Tai, B. (2013). Capacity building and collaborative research on cross-national studies in the Asian region. Journal of Food and Drug Analysis, 21(4), S117-S122. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jfda.2013.09.048
- Giang, L.M., Ngoc, L.B., Hoang, V.H., Mulvey, K., & Rawson, R.A. (2013). Substance use disorders and human immunodeficiency virus in Vietnam since Doi Moi (Renovation): An overview. Journal of Food and Drug Analysis, 21(4), S42-S45. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jfda.2013.09.032
- Mooney, L.J., Cooper, C., London, E.D., Chudzynski, J., Dolezal, B., Dickerson, D., Brecht, M.-L., Peñate, J., & Rawson, R.A. (2013). Exercise for methamphetamine dependence: Rationale, design, and methodology. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 37(1), 139-147. doi: 10.1016/j.cct.2013.11.010.
Last updated - 03/23/2015
Click here to view other profiles.