ISAP Researchers' Profiles
Richard A. Rawson, Ph.D.
Richard A. Rawson, Ph.D., is an Associate Director of UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs and Professor-in-Residence at the UCLA Department of Psychiatry, in which he has been a member for more than 20 years. He received a Ph.D. in experimental psychology from the University of Vermont in 1974. Dr. Rawson oversees clinical trials on pharmacological and psychosocial addiction treatments. He is principal investigator of the NIDA grants on aerobic exercise, screening and brief intervention in a mental health setting, and a Fogarty training grant between UCLA and Cairo University. He also is principal investigator of the SAMHSA/PEPFAR: Cooperative Agreement for Workforce Development in Vietnam: HIV-Addiction Technology Transfer Center and recently completed the SAMHSA/Department of State: Iraq Drug Demand Reduction Initiative. He has led addiction research and training projects for the United Nations, the World Health Organization, the Drosos Foundation and the U.S. State Department, exporting science-based knowledge to many parts of the world. Dr. Rawson has published 3 books, 35 book chapters, and over 200 peer-reviewed articles and has conducted over 1,000 workshops, paper presentations, and training sessions.
Education and Training
- University of Vermont, Burlington, VT, B.A., Psychology, 1970
- University of Vermont, Burlington, VT, Ph.D., Psychology, 1974
- Behavioral Treatment Research
- Medication Research
- Treatment System Evaluation
- International Addiction Research
- Addiction Training
UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs
11075 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 100
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Selected Peer-reviewed Publications (From a List of 175+)
- Farabee, D., McCann, M., Brecht, M.-L, Cousins, S.J., Antonini, V.P., Lee, A.B., Hemberg, J., Karno, M., & Rawson, R.A. (2013). An analysis of relapse prevention factors and their ability to predict sustained abstinence following treatment completion. American Journal on Addictions, 22(3), 206-211. PMID: 23617860 [PubMed – in process]
- Rawson, R.A., Rataemane, S., Rataemane, L., Ntlhe, N., Fox, R.S., McCuller, J., & Brecht, M.-L. (2013). Dissemination and implementation of cognitive behavioral therapy for stimulant dependence: A randomized trial comparison of 3 approaches. Substance Abuse, 34(2), 108-117. PMCID: PMC3625982 [Available on 2014/4/1]
- Anderson, A.L., Li, S.-H., Biswas, K., McSherry, F., Holmes, T., Iturriaga, E., Kahn, R., Chiang, N., Beresford, T., Campbell, J., Haning, W., Mawhinney, J., McCann, M., Rawson, R., Stock, C., Weis, D., Yu, E., & Elkashef, A.M. (2012). Modafinil for the treatment of methamphetamine dependence. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 120(1-3), 135-141.
- Elkashef, A., Kahn, R., Yu, E., Iturriaga, E., Li, S.-H., Anderson, A., Chiang, N., Ait-Daoud, N., Weiss, D., McSherry, F., Serpi, T., Rawson, R., Hrymoc, M., Weis, D., McCann, M., Pham, T., Stock, C., Dickinson, R., Campbell, J., Gorodetzky, C., Haning, W., Carlton, B., Mawhinney, J., Li, M.D., & Johnson, B.A. (2012). Topiramate for the treatment of methamphetamine addiction: A multi-center placebo-controlled trial. Addiction, 107(7), 1297-1306.
- Karno, M., Farabee, D., Brecht, M.L., & Rawson, R.A. (2012). Patient reactance moderates the effect of directive telephone counseling for methamphetamine users. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 73, 844–850.
- Farabee, D., Cousins, S.J., Brecht, M.-L., Antonini, V.P., Lee, A.B., Brummer, J., Hemberg, J., Karno, M., & Rawson, R.A. (2012). A comparison of four telephone-based counseling styles for recovering stimulant users. Psychology of Addictive Behavior, 27, 223-229.
- Shetty, V., Mooney, L.J., Zigler, C.M., Belin, T.R., Murphy, D., & Rawson, R. (2010). The relationship between methamphetamine use and increased dental disease. Journal of the American Dental Association, 141, 307-318.
- Gonzales, R., Mooney, L., & Rawson, R.A. (2010). The methamphetamine problem in the United States. Annual Review of Public Health, 31, 6.1-6.14.
- Rawson, R.A., Maxwell, J., & Rutkowski, B. (2007). OxyContin abuse: Who are the users? American Journal of Psychiatry, 164(11), 1634-1636
- Rawson, R.A., McCann, M.J., Flammino, F., Shoptaw, S., Miotto, K., Reiber, C., & Ling, W. (2006). A comparison of contingency management and cognitive-behavioral approaches for stimulant-dependent individuals. Addiction, 101(2), 267-74.
- Rawson, R.A., Marinelli-Casey, P., Anglin, M.D., Dickow, A., Frazier, Y., Gallagher, C., Galloway, G.P., Herrell, J., Huber, A., McCann, M.J., Obert, J., Pennell, S., Reiber, C., Vandersloot, D., Zweben, J., and the Methamphetamine Treatment Project Corporate Authors. (2004). A multi-site comparison of psychosocial approaches for the treatment of methamphetamine dependence. Addiction, 99, 708-717.
- London, E., Simon, S.L., Berman, S., Mandelkern, M., Lichtman, A.M., Bramen, J., Shinn, A.K., Miotto, K., Learn, J., Dong, Y., Matochik, J.A., Kurian, V., Newton, T., Woods, R., Rawson, R.A., & Ling, W.L. (2004). Regional cerebral dysfunction associated with mood disturbances in abstinent methamphetamine abusers. Archives of General Psychiatry, 61,73-84.
- Rawson, R.A., McCann, M.J, Huber, A. Shoptaw, S., Farabee, D., Reiber, C., & Ling, W. (2002). A comparison of contingency management and cognitive-behavioral approaches for cocaine dependent methadone-maintained individuals. Archives of General Psychiatry, 59, 817-824.
- Urada, D., Schaper, E., Alvarez, L., Reilly, C., Dawar, M., Field, R., Antonini, V.P., Oeser, B.T., Crèvecoeur-MacPhail, D., & Rawson, R.A. (2012). Perceptions of mental health and substance use disorder services integration among the workforce in primary care settings. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 44(4), 292-298.
- Padwa, H., Urada, D., Antonini, V.P., Ober, A., Crèvecoeur-MacPhail, D., & Rawson, R.A. (2012). Integrating substance use disorder services with primary care: The experience in California. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 44(4), 299-306.
- Rutkowski, B.A., Rawson, R.A., & Freese, T.E. (2012). Editors’ introduction: The evidence for integrated care—substance use disorders, mental health and primary care: California Substance Abuse Research Consortium (SARC) meetings, 2011. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 44(4), 281-284. Gonzales, R., Brecht, M.-L., Mooney, L., & Rawson, R.A. (2011). Prescription and over-the-counter drug treatment admissions to the California public treatment system. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 40(3), 224-229..
Last updated - 01/17/2014
Click here to view other profiles.