ISAP Researchers' Profiles
Daniel L. Dickerson, D.O., M.P.H.
Daniel Dickerson, D.O., M.P.H., Inupiaq, is an addiction psychiatrist and Assistant Research Psychiatrist at UCLA, Integrated Substance Abuse Programs (ISAP). His research focuses on substance abuse among American Indians/Alaska Natives and on the development of culturally relevant substance abuse interventions for American Indians/Alaska Natives. He is a Co-Principal Investigator on an R-01 National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)-funded grant, “Motivational Interviewing and Culture for Urban Native American Youth (MICUNAY),” an alcohol and drug prevention research project targeting urban Native American youth. He was also the Principal Investigator on an R-21 National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM)-funded research grant, “Drum-Assisted Recovery Therapy for Native Americans (DARTNA),” a substance abuse research program analyzing the benefits of drumming for Native Americans with substance use disorders. He was also the Principal Investigator on “Strengthening the Circle,” an HIV prevention program for urban Native Americans. This study was funded through a sub award from an R25 National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)-funded program through the Indigenous HIV/AID Research Training (IHART) program at the University of Washington.
Education and Training
- Berry College, Mt. Berry, Georgia, B.S., Biochemistry, 1997
- Western University of Health Sciences, Pomona, D.O., 2001
- Loma Linda University Medical Center, Loma Linda, General Psychiatry Residency, 2001-2005
- Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, 2005-2007, Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship
- A.T. Still University, Kirksville, Missouri, 2008, Master of Public Health
- Evaluation of substance use characteristics in American Indian/Alaska Native populations
- The role of culture on substance use behaviors
- Development of substance abuse treatments for American Indians/Alaska Natives
UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs
11075 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 100
Los Angeles, CA 90025
- Jernigan VBB, Peercy M, Branam D, Saunkeah B, Wharton D, Winkleby M, Lowe J, Salvatore AL, Dickerson D, Belcourt A, D’Amico E, Patten CA, Parker M, Duran B, Harris, R Buchwald D. Beyond Health Equity: Achieving Wellness Within American Indian and Alaska Native Communities. American Journal of Public Health 2015; S3:S376–S379.
- Dickerson DL, Brown RA, Johnson CL, Schweigman K, D'Amico EJ. (2015). Integrating motivational interviewing and traditional healing to address alcohol and drug use among urban American Indian/Alaska Native youth.. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 2015; Jul 29. [Epub ahead of print]
- Moghaddam JF, Dickerson DL, Yoon G, & Westermeyer J. American Indians/Alaska Natives: Findings from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions Drug and Alcohol Dependence. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 2014; 144:127-33.
- Dickerson DL, Venner KL, & Duran B. Clinical Trials and American Indians/Alaska Natives with Substance Use Disorders: Identifying Potential Strategies for a New Cultural-Based Intervention. Journal of Public Mental Health 2014; 13(4):175-178.
- Dickerson DL, Venner KL, Duran B, Annon JJ, Hale B, & Funmaker G. Drum-Assisted Recovery Therapy for Native Americans (DARTNA): Results from a Pretest and Focus Groups. American Indian and Alaska Native Mental Health Research 2014; 21(1):35-58. doi: 10.5820/aian.2101.2014.35.
- Spear SE, Crevecoeur-MacPhail D, Denering L, Dickerson D, & Brecht M-L. Determinants of Successful Treatment Outcomes among a Sample of Urban American Indians/Alaska Natives: The Role of Social Determinants. Journal of Behavior Health Services & Research 2013; 40(3):330-41. doi: 10.1007/s11414-013-9324-4.
- Dickerson DL, Fisher, DG, Reynolds GL, Baig S, Napper LE, Anglin MD. Substance Use Patterns among High-Risk American Indians/Alaska Natives in Los Angeles County. American Journal on Addictions 2012; 21:445-52.
- Dickerson DL & Johnson CL. Mental health and substance abuse characteristics among a clinical sample of urban American Indian/Alaska Native youths in a large metropolitan area: a descriptive study. Community Mental Health Journal 2012; 48(1):56-62.
- Dickerson DL, Robichaud F, Teruya C, Nagaran K, & Hser Y-I. Utilizing drumming for American Indians/Alaska Natives with substance use disorders. American Journal on Drug and Alcohol Abuse 2012; 38:505-510.
- Dickerson DL & Johnson CL. Design of a behavior health program for urban American Indian/Alaska Native youths: a Community Informed Approach. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 2011; 43(4).
- Dickerson DL, Spear S; Marinelli-Casey P, Rawson R, Li L, & Hser Y. American Indians/Alaska Natives and Substance Abuse Treatment Outcomes: Positive Signs and Continuing Challenges. Journal of Addictive Diseases 2011; 30(1):63-74.
- Dickerson DL, Leeman RF, Mazure CM, & O’Malley SS. The inclusion of women and minorities in smoking cessation clinical trials: a systematic review. American Journal on Addictions 2009; 18(1):21-28.
- Dickerson DL, O’Malley S, Canive J, Thuras P, & Westermeyer J. Nicotine Dependence and comorbid psychiatric and substance use disorders in a sample of American Indian Veterans. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 2009; 99(1-3):169-75
Click here to view other profiles.