Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find information about drug treatment programs?

If you are in the Los Angeles area, visit the MATRIX Institute Web page or call 1-800-310-7700. For referrals to treatment programs throughout the United States, call 1-800-662-HELP, or visit the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration online at

What is ISAP?

The UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs (ISAP) coordinates substance abuse research and treatment within the Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. As one of the largest substance abuse research groups in the United States, ISAP works to:

  • Develop and evaluate new approaches for the treatment of substance abuse disorders
  • Move empirically supported treatments into mainstream application
  • Advance the empirical understanding of substance abuse and support efforts to ameliorate related problems
  • Investigate the epidemiology, neurobiology, consequences, treatment, and prevention of substance abuse.

For more information, please see our Biennial Report and past issues of our community newsletter, the ISAP News.

What kinds of research do you do?

Visit our Projects page.

Who are your primary researchers, and what are their interests?

Visit our Profiles page.

I’d like to read an article that was written by an ISAP researcher. Are they available?

Visit our list of publications.

I need general information about drugs and drug abuse.

Check the National Institutes on Drug Abuse's FAQ site.

I have a question not covered here. Whom should I contact?

Please write to Darren Urada (, our External Communications Director.


2016 ISAP Publications
2015 ISAP Publications